Friday, April 20, 2012

Media not wrong in covering what Agni-V is: Tessy

New Delhi: India's Agni Putri, Tessy Thomas, the woman behind the successful test firing of the country's first inter continental ballistic missileAgni-V, says she doesn't mind the nickname given to her, as far as it is withaffection. Speaking exclusively to CNN-IBN, Thomas said that when she started hercareer as a scientist at the Defence Research andDevelopment Organisation(DRDO), she had only fourfemale colleagues. She, however, added that the numbers had increased now. Here's the full text of the interview: CNN-IBN: A women in a male bastion " the DRDO. She is being called Agni Putri', project director Tessy Thomas, who guided a team of scientists to successfully test fire Indian's first ICBM. Many congratulations from the entire CNN-IBN team for your contribution at Wheeler Island. Have you got used to being called Agni Putri'? Tessy Thomas: Agni Putri'is fine, I better be called as Tessy, that's also fine.It's all in one's way of calling, how does it matter? As far as it is with affection, so anythingis fine for me. CNN-IBN: Tessy, we havebeen saying, you are a rare woman in a male bastion. We believe, whenyou joined the DRDO, there were only five women scientists. Is that correct or things have changed now? Tessy Thomas: Yeah, that was the time when wewere few in number. But now the numbers have increased, at least three four letters increased. CNN-IBN: As a rocket scientist, I wonder if you watched the media coverage of the launch ofAgni-V. It's been held as the national pride, the one that makes India powerful against her neighbours, the deterrence has been spoken about. Do you agree with the way it's been covered or do you believe that there is a little bit of jingoism? Tessy Thomas: No, I don'tthink I have to comment on it. It's our media, it's India media. I don't think you will do something wrong in covering what Agni has been. CNN-IBN: Okay, we like toend on a lighter note. Howdo you like to unwind, I am sure it has been a very stressful time and we have heard badmintonand cooking is what you like to do when you are free and have spare time. Tessy Thomas: Yeah badminton, cooking, TV programme, all are simple. CNN-IBN: Fair enough. Tessy Thomas, I think you have a hectic few weeks, if not few months. Thanks very much on joining us. Ibnlive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment